The infamous Mineshaft Bar downstairs at the Sportsman Hotel is about to be re-named and be given a complete make-over, but what will it be called?
Regulars at the Sporties will have noticed a few differences already. The old ceiling has been removed from the downstairs bar, as has parts of the corrugated iron wall panelling, and more changes are set to follow in the coming months.
Sportsman Hotel proprietor Neil McLucas told QNews that the name of the new look bar would remain a secret for now but did offer some insight into what the bar will look like when complete.
The bar is going to have a smooth but still rough look to it and will be a much more conveinient area for our customers to enjoy”, McLucus said, adding that the renovations will also include a new dancefloor and new but tasteful carpet.
“At one end we will have a new feature wall and we will put up some interesting period type wall paper on the way downstairs. We will also bring out some old world charm as we do up the beautiful 50 year old tiles which have been hiding behind the corrugated iron for all these years.”
The Hotel was built in 1876 but wasn’t known as the Sportsman Hotel until the 1920’s. The facade of the hotel was drastically changed in the 1950’s from a heritage look complete with large Queensland style balconies to a modern brick veneer look which was popular at the time. Traditionally known as a footballer’s hangout, the Sporties has been operating as a gay pub since December 1989.